(Player: Michael Eastham
- Chapters 1 to current)
Paul is part owner of the Polera and the ship’s pilot. Some may take his attitude as cocky, but the man can fly an old transport ship in a dogfight like it was a sleek one-man fighter. Paul takes pride in his ability to fly his ship most anywhere, though his overconfidence tends to get him and his friends in trouble.
Paul spends most of his time watching old action vids or hanging out in the bridge. He is lean and strong underneath his flight suit.Paul Cole’s Medical File
- Unarmed Combat
- Submachine Gun
- Officer Hughes – Sarech police detective.
Give a two or three word description of yourself.
Total Utter Badass. Unh. Yeah, that’s right.
What do you perceive as your greatest strength?
Being able to pull people’s asses out of the fire when all hell breaks loose AND looking good while doing it.
What is your most obvious flaw or weakness?
I don’t take failure well. Especially when lives are on the line.
Briefly describe a defining moment in your youth and how it influenced your life.
- Oh, man. The best day of my life was the final exam in pilot school. Not only did I ace the damn thing, I pushed the ship in ways the instructors didn’t even know it could go. After I landed, Ol’ Hardass (Zeke) McGraw’s jaw was on the floor. Just the look on his face was totally awesome.
- So, after they dismissed me, I went to this bar and I had classmates buying me drinks left and right. I was pretty blitzed, but I stuck around, because my buddy Jake was due to finish his final soon. And… oh hell.
- So, I was there, and this underclassman runs in. He grabs me, says something and starts pulling me. I can’t remember what he said, but I came with him. Everyone followed. We get to the training yard, and… This bird is just destroyed. The medics and the MPs were cordoning off the area. They pulled parts of Jake’s mangled corpse while I watched.
- Jake had asked me to be on audio when he did the final. I told him he’d be fine and he didn’t need me. I’d wanted to go party. After the accident, though… I listened to those files over and over again. The problems he’d had before the crash were things I knew how to fix. Mark Janssen, who had been on audio instead, didn’t. I could’ve saved him.
- What the hell was I thinking.
Who is your most trusted ally and why?
Doc Graham. He’s patched me up more times than I can count, and I owe him big for that. I was the only one to stand up for him at his court martial. Always had a lot of respect for those that patch up wounded soldiers, and he was one of the best. They drummed me out soon after, but hey. What can I say. It was worth it.
Who do you despise and why?
People with talent and skill who refuse to use it. That’s why I love the Doc… He’s a magician with medicine, and he’s still doing it even if he lost his license. A bleeding man isn’t gonna ask for qualifications.
For what would you die for?
I’d prefer to live forever. But immortality is rare, so I guess I’d die for a good cause. I know I’d kill for a good cheeseburger right now, though.
Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career?
I’m one of the best pilots in the known galaxy. It would be a waste of my talents to do something safe. Shit, most of the safe jobs for pilots are done by computers anyway.
Describe your dreams and ambitions.
To make my name a commonly used term, so when a pilot pulls something that should be impossible and manages to really just be awesome, people say they pulled a “Cole”.
Oh, and peace and happiness to all mankind.
How do you generally treat others?
I pretty much treat everyone like I’ve known them a bit. Maybe not friends, but at least friendly. Acquaintances, if you will. But I’ll turn and get in their faces if they disrespect my crew.
How do others typically react to you?
Well, more or less. Except those who don’t like my bravado.
When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)? When do you consider it wrong to kill (under what circumstances)?
I have a couple of real simple rules. If they pull a weapon, they can die. If they fly towards my ship with weapons armed and aren’t communicating with us, they can die. If they have no hostile intent, they deserve to live. If they have hostile intent, but they aren’t going for weapons, they can be put into a hurt locker, but I’d really prefer to not kill them.
And if you’re on my crew, you’re not allowed to die.
What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do?
I refuse to not help if a member of my crew asks me to be there for them.
%% And a few questions from The Famous Pivot Questionnaire %%
1. What is your favorite word? “Cockthirsty.”
2. What is your least favorite word? “Grounded.”
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? “Action vids and romance novels.”
4. What turns you off? “Malevolence.”
5. What is your favorite curse word? “Shitcock.”
6. What sound or noise do you love? “The hum of a finely tuned engine resonating off the bulkhead.”
7. What sound or noise do you hate? “That same engine being shot.”
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? “Action holovid actor.”
9. What profession would you not like to do? “My own personal hell would be to have been an accountant like dad.”
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
“You gotta teach me how you do this stuff.”